Skin discoloration can be frustrating, especially for certain ethnicities who are genetically predisposed to have pigmentation issues, particularly African American skin. This common issue can also be caused by other conditions such as:
- Insect bites
- Acne scarring
- Shave bumps
- Birth Control
- Dry skin which leads to chapping
- Oily skin which leads to clogged pores
Since skin discoloration can be caused by any combination of the above elements, Dr. Gram suggests employing the following treatments and products to ensure brightness and uniformity of skin tone.
- Scrubs: Scrubs remove unwanted dead skin cells and stimulate your body to produce new, healthy looking skin. Since your body is producing new cells, scrubs help to even the tone of your skin. Product Recommendation: GRAM Skincare Daily Scrub ( /products/daily-regimen/daily-scrub )
- Skin Lighteners: Using a proper lightener is important. Do your research and learn what the product is intended to do. Some fade the dark spots, while others work by controlling melanin production. I recommend using products that control the melanin production rather than fading spots. I also recommend staying away from Hydroquinone products because there are potential side effects, especially in Asian skin. My patented Nutra-Vit Complex, which is found in every GRAM Skincare product, includes Niacinamide, Glucosamine and Vitamin E. These three ingredients have many functions but one is to control skin tone by inhibiting the tyrosinase enzyme from activating the melanocytes which secret melanin and lead to discoloration. Product Recommendation: GRAM SKincare Daily Moisturizer (/products/daily-regimen/daily-moisturizer )
- Acids: Alpha Hydroxy Acids should be used by a professional only. I am a firm believer in regularly visiting an esthetician to receive a chemical peel or glycolic acid facial. I would not suggest using glycolic acid washes at home because improper use can dry, damage and destroy your skin. Beta Hydroxy Acids are similar to salycylic acid and are safe to use at home on a daily basis. Product Recommendation: GRAM Skincare’s Clarifying Regimen which uses salicylic acid as a mild exfoliator to brighten and even skin tone. It is not just for acne prone skin. (/products/acne-regimen )
- Micro-Dermabrasion: Micro-dermabrasion is like a gentle sandblast of your face. Sounds scary, right? It is actually painless and can provide immediate gratification. I always recommend seeing your esthetician to see if this treatment is right for you and I do not recommend the home micro-dermabrasion kits. These often do more harm than good.
Overall, the combination of good skin care products and professional peels and services, will help to fade skin discoloration and prevent further damage when part of a consistent routine. Read the labels on your skin care products and always consult your esthetician to avoid causing further damage by using harsh chemicals in the wrong way.