I quick note to start your Week. Here are some foods and ingredients you want in your Skin care and Diet.
Eating foods rich in antioxidants help destroy free radicals!! Research shows that vitamin C, E, A (beta carotene), and selenium nourish and protect skin, which can help keep it looking better for longer!
- Vitamin C: involved in collagen production — bell peppers, citrus, strawberries, white potatoes, kiwi, sugar snap peas
- Vitamin E: protects cell membranes and protect against sun damage get it from food not supplements — nuts and seeds, nut butters, avocado, wheat germ, ground flaxseed/flaxseed oil, greens (collard, Swiss chard, spinach), broccoli, red bell peppers
- Vitamin A (beta carotene): growth and repair of body tissues; might protect against sun damage — carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pumpkin, apricots, mango (orange foods!), cabbage, greens, watercress, watermelon, red bell pepper.
- Selenium: protects skin elasticity; protects against sun damage (get it from food not supplements. (If have been diagnosed with skin cancer please consult with your doctor before taking supplements.) — tuna, crab, oysters, shrimp, cod, tilapia, lean beef, turkey, brown rice, whole wheat products (bread, pasta, crackers, etc.), eggs, mushrooms, fat free cottage cheese
- Zinc: protects cell membranes, maintains collagen (to keep skin firm), important for skin renewal — oysters, turkey, lean beef, nuts and seeds, reduced fat cheese, nonfat milk, low fat yogurt, beans, lentils, peas
- Omega-3s: keep cell membranes healthy so your cells hold in more water and nutrients and keep toxins out. It may also protect against sun damage — salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, Pacific oysters, fortified eggs, walnuts, ground flaxseeds (and oil), seaweed, soybeans